Careers in Water/Wastewater
The following positions have been submitted to KWEA for posting. Please contact the organization for each listing with any questions or follow-up. If you would like to add an open position to our list, please send us an email.
Chief Plant Operator
City of Bonner Springs
The City of Bonner Springs is accepting applications for a Chief Plant Operator position. Under general direction, the successful candidate performs skilled work and tasks involving the operation and maintenance of the City’s water and/or wastewater treatment plants; performs adjustments and repairs to plant equipment; collects and documents samples for laboratory testing; and performs a variety of related duties as assigned.
Must be 18 years old and have a High School diploma or GED. Valid driver’s license with CDL Class B required within 6 months. Directly related experience with water and waste water systems is desired.
Questions regarding this opportunity may be directed to the Public Works Center at (913) 441-1961.
Pay Range: $46,692.10 - $66,571.77 annually
Third Shift Plant Operator − Sewer Treatment
City of Wichita
This is work in the operation and minor maintenance of fluid treatment and distribution equipment. Work may include routine laboring and maintenance tasks. Normal work is performed independently, but continuous supervision is available. If unusual operating conditions are encountered, a supervisor determines the action to be taken.
Examples of Work Performed
- Operates large sewage pumps, automatic rakes, centrifugal sludge pumps, air compressors and sludge drags.
- Operates and maintains low-pressure steam boilers.
- Regulates flow and monitors treatment processes.
- Performs routine chemical analyses and records results.
- Inspects equipment and machinery.
- Skims grease off settling tanks and operates shredders and grinding machines.
- Reads meters, gauges and thermometers, and assists in the maintenance of plant equipment.
- Oils, greases, waters, and wipes machinery and participates in keeping the plant clean.
- May supervise or advise other employees.
- These examples are not intended to be all-inclusive.
- Other related duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
Required Experience and Training
Three years of experience or training in the performance of mechanical maintenance tasks, preferably related to sewage treatment. An equivalent combination of experience and training may be considered. Offers of employment are contingent upon passing a pre-employment physical, including drug screening, and upon satisfactory evaluation of the results of a criminal record check.
This is a 3rd shift position: 12:00 midnight to 8:00 a.m. (Wednesday-Sunday)
Pay Range: $17.91 - $25.93 hourly